Legal Malpractice

Legal malpractice occurs when a lawyer fails to render competent professional service to a client and the client is damages as a result of the failure. The three major theories of liability are negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract. To prove malpractice, i.e., to establish your lawyer's liability, you must prove that your lawyer owed you a duty to represent you competently, that he or she made a mistake or otherwise breached the duty owed to you, and that your lawyer's mistake harmed you, causing you damages. Additionally, you must file your lawsuit within the statutory time period or "statute of limitations" established by state law for legal malpractice claims. Please read on to find a legal malpractice lawyer, attorney or access more information.

Find a Legal Malpractice attorney in your area.
Legal Malpractice Articles
-  Understand Your Bill for Legal Services and How to Dispute It-  Reporting a Lawyer for Ethics Violations
-  Lawyers' & Clients' Responsibilities to Each Other-  Fee Arbitration for Attorney Costs
-  Suing Your Lawyer
State Specific Resources
-  State Codes and Statutes Websites
Legal Malpractice FAQs
-  When You're Unhappy with Your Lawyer FAQ-  Legal Malpractice FAQ
Lawyers.comsm Virtual Community
Legal Forums
-  Lawyer Problems-  How To Find Good Lawyers
-  Legal Malpractice
-  Chat Listing
Hiring a Lawyer
-  Selecting A Lawyer-  Preparing To Meet With A Lawyer
-  Meeting With A Lawyer
Related Topics on Lawyers.comsm
-  Insurance

Ask a Lawyer - Legal Malpractice Law questions answered by leading lawyers
The family attorney switched sides and began representing the man that lived with my mother. Is ther
My medical information ended up in my daughter's file. She foud them in there when she went for an a
I am not sure what to put forlegal topic.
legal malpractice
I filed a lawsuit pro se I eventually retained a lawyer I give the lawyer the full retainer fee he filed a 2amended complaint which the judge dismissed without prejudice it took him 8 months to file 3amended complaint the defendants filed a motion to dismiss which the judge denied defendants filed answer I requested the lawyer to do discovery which he failed to do. I recently filed a complaint with the Florida Bar do I hire another lawyer or wait on the Florida Bar to make a decision.
do i have a case to file against my attorney?
I had a lawsuit going against RJ Reynolds and my suit was given to a group of attorneys without my knowledge or consent. I had been with the same attorney since 1996 I think. The new attorneys took over my case and that is where it all went wrong. Several issues that I have are Mediation where I was told I was just there to listen, bankruptcy had to be reopened and I was never told I would not be the plaintive. The trustee became the plaintive. Questioned by a psychiatrist in a room that was so cold I shivered the whole time and to this day I have no idea what answers I gave. Last my case was settled with an offer made to the trustee and not one of the lawyers let me know and the only creditor that filed when I reopened the bankruptcy was Discover and they were not paid and I was told that was the reason I had to reopen the bankruptcy
Is breach of attorney client privilege grounds for a law suit?
A breach of attorney client privilege has jeopardized my ability to pursue a civil suit against the defendant in a felony battery case. The defendants attorney found out the identity of a source/witness that requested to remain anonymous and the information came from my attorney. The defendant's attorney is threatening the witness if I don't abandon any civil action. I was the victim of the battery and have suffered greatly, but do not want to hurt the witness that went out on a limb for me. My civil attorney was the only person who knew who the source was and now the defense knows. My attorney also brought the witness up to friends of mine at a social event, which just reinforces the fact that he is discussing my case where he shouldn't. Is this grounds for a legal malpractice suit? If so what type of attorney should be consulted?
view more...

Legal Malpractice Lawyer Web Sites
 -  Mississippi Law - Cumbest, Cumbest, Hunter & Mccormick, P.A.
 -  Maui County Law - Tateishi & Pascual, Attorneys A Law Corporation
 -  Salem Attorneys - Harris, Wyatt & Amala, LLC
 -  Tampa Lawsuit - Westchase Law P.A.
 -  New York Attorney - Barasch Mcgarry Salzman & Penson PC
State *