> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Legal Malpractice > Over billing for a HOA dispute

Over billing for a HOA dispute

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 04th, 2017 on Legal Malpractice - Florida
More details to this question:
In 2016 my HOA fee of $225.00 was regarded as late and the check that was sent was stopped. The HOA then sued me for payment. Attorney fees soon exploded to the fact that I owed $3900.00. A payment plan was setup where I paid $1500.00 with 12 monthly payment of $203.83.My wife and I are senior citizens living on a fixed income. The first 7 monthly payments were made but in June I could not make the payment. The attorneys requested a final judgment of payment of $5354.99 less the $2218.98 I had already paid. On the statement it showed that attorney fees were 13.87 hours x $185.00 per hour $2565.95 plus paralegal fees of 17.12 hours x $95.00 per hour $1626.40 totaling $4192.35. This seems to be an excessive amount for a late HOA fee of 32 hours of attorney and paralegal fees and I would like to know if these fees can be disputed.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 05th, 2017 at 4:57 AM

You would have to demand an accounting or sue for same. Problem is you don't have the money to pick such fights legally and your own conduct keeps getting in the way, where you make agreements and then default - for what ever reason. You may want to move to a less combative community. 

All responses are NOT to be considered legal advice nor to be relied upon in any as such nor to establish any form of attorney/client relationship. Opinions expressed are solely informational and not a substitute for proper legal advice provided by a properly retained after thoroughly researching the issues presented.

Report Abuse
Legal Malpractice
The vast majority of attorneys act ethically and diligently representing the interests of their clients. But what happens when you hire a lawyer who has a conflict of interest, makes errors in your representation, is negligent or breaches his or her fiduciary duty? In those instances, you may have grounds for a legal malpractice complaint or lawsuit. Law firms that represent the victims of legal malpractice can help you file a complaint with your state's lawyer registration and disciplinary commission, while also filing a civil lawsuit against your former attorney.
Have an Legal Malpractice Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

359 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

237 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

178 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

113 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

79 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

76 Answers, 30 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

70 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums