> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Legal Malpractice > When should I file a complaint with the bar?

When should I file a complaint with the bar?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 06th, 2016 on Legal Malpractice - Utah
More details to this question:
My attorney has disregarded my specific instructions on at least 4 different occasions (which I have documented). This resulted in thousands of dollars in fees. He bills me sporadically, with interest added, even though I pay promptly. Billing is vague, like “previous balance,” or “work on case,” or “misc.” I have to request information multiple times before I get answers, and sometimes he doesn’t answer at all. When I finally did find out what the bill was for it was for work I had paid for a year ago, time spent billing me, and time spent answering my questions about billing. He will not produce a fee agreement.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 07th, 2016 at 7:27 AM

I am certainly sorry to hear of your difficulties, particularly as they have to do with problems with an attorney.

There are time limits that apply, which are dependent on when you learned of the various problems or inappropriate actions.

You should file any complaint as soon as possible after the event.

But, understand that a bar complaint is not a claim for malpractice, and will not award you any potential damages that you have suffered. To obtain money, or other damages, you will need to file a malpractice lawsuit.

Should you want to discuss that option, I offer a free initial 1/2 hour consultation.

David R. Hartwig


Report Abuse
Legal Malpractice
The vast majority of attorneys act ethically and diligently representing the interests of their clients. But what happens when you hire a lawyer who has a conflict of interest, makes errors in your representation, is negligent or breaches his or her fiduciary duty? In those instances, you may have grounds for a legal malpractice complaint or lawsuit. Law firms that represent the victims of legal malpractice can help you file a complaint with your state's lawyer registration and disciplinary commission, while also filing a civil lawsuit against your former attorney.
Have an Legal Malpractice Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

307 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

141 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

115 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

96 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

91 Answers, 32 Legal Topics

Legal Malpractice Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums