> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Legal Malpractice > How to get my daughters file from GAL

How to get my daughters file from GAL

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 29th, 2017 on Legal Malpractice - Wisconsin
More details to this question:
Me and my wife lived in the same house for 18 years I take three different sleeping pills every night for 20 years We have always carpool to work together 30 miles away I was a stay at home dad nine months after she was born until she went to school full-time Daughter adopted I cut the cord My wife wasn't even at the hospital to bring her home after birth, she never wanted to be a mother My daughter was six years old Catholic school Letter from both principles saying she should stay in the school she is currently at GAL recommendations was she should stay at her current school Right before court my wife got her to change her mind GAL would not return phone calls or give any good reason why I drive 60 miles a day on sleeping pills fall asleep in the morning getting her to school endangering her life for the next 12 years. I want answers I could be driving dump truck from my home & and my daughter could get on the school bus from our driveway.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 30th, 2017 at 10:12 AM

I assume from your post you are going through a divorce and you are not represented. If you are engaged in custody litigation over your children, you are well advised to hire an experienced family lawyer to help you. You are not entitled to the guardian ad litem's file. The guardian ad litem is an attorney and is court appointed by the trial court to serve as an advocate for the minor children. Their file is protected work product. You or your wife are not entitled to receive  a copy of their file or the GAL's personal notes, nor is the guardian ad litem allowed to testify. You should rather, sit down with an experienced family lawyer in your area and discuss the case, including the likelihood of success, what the cost might be and how long it is going to take. If you are not yet divorced, right now you and your wife should be on an even  (legal) playing field.

David B. Karp Karp & Iancu, S.C. 933 North Mayfair Road #300 Milwaukee, WI 53226 414 453 0800

Report Abuse
Legal Malpractice
The vast majority of attorneys act ethically and diligently representing the interests of their clients. But what happens when you hire a lawyer who has a conflict of interest, makes errors in your representation, is negligent or breaches his or her fiduciary duty? In those instances, you may have grounds for a legal malpractice complaint or lawsuit. Law firms that represent the victims of legal malpractice can help you file a complaint with your state's lawyer registration and disciplinary commission, while also filing a civil lawsuit against your former attorney.
Have an Legal Malpractice Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

326 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

87 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

67 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums