sue my attorney

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 22nd, 2016 on Legal Malpractice - Wisconsin
More details to this question:
I am looking for an attorney to file a legal malpractic suit against my divorce attorney. He was negliegent in preparing for my divorce. He did not fill his fiduciary duty. Please help.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 1:13 PM

You should start by making sure you have all your essential papers in order; (a) marital settlement agreement, if the case was settled; (b) findings of fact, conclusions of law and judgment of divorce (divorce decree) (c) court transcript from your final court hearing (d) your financial disclosure statement (e) your ex spouse's financial disclosure statement (f) any property division spread sheets that were preapred for the divorce by the attorneys (g) any child support or spousal support calculation worksheets prepared by the attorneys. That would be a starting point on what any attorney might need to initially review your file to determine if an error was made and if so, how substantive in nature it may have affected you. If there was any type of a viable case, at some point, the attorney would want to review the entire file from your former lawyer. If you haven't already requested it, you should probably do that as well. I know I have not specifically answered your question. You can look for a malpractice lawyer by finding a lawyer in your area on AVVO,, Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America and any other number of professional listings for lawyers. The statute of limitations for legal malpractice in Wisconsin is generallly 6 years under contract. Faillure to file a lawsuit within 6 years from the date of the  occurrence, will otherwise forever bar your clam.

David B. Karp Karp & Iancu, S.C. 933 North Mayfair Road #300 Milwaukee, WI 53226 414 453 0800

Report Abuse
Legal Malpractice
The vast majority of attorneys act ethically and diligently representing the interests of their clients. But what happens when you hire a lawyer who has a conflict of interest, makes errors in your representation, is negligent or breaches his or her fiduciary duty? In those instances, you may have grounds for a legal malpractice complaint or lawsuit. Law firms that represent the victims of legal malpractice can help you file a complaint with your state's lawyer registration and disciplinary commission, while also filing a civil lawsuit against your former attorney.
Have an Legal Malpractice Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

325 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

220 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

110 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

72 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums